Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gene Upshaw, N.F.L. Union Chief, Dies


From the NYTimes:
Gene Upshaw, the longtime head of the N.F.L. players association and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 63.

This is already sad, but reading a little further down the article:
Jeffrey Kessler, the union’s outside counsel, said Upshaw did not learn the diagnosis until late Sunday or early Monday morning, when he entered the hospital.

This is incredible. I mean, this guy learned he had cancer on Sunday and died 4 days later? Holy crap. And I work in this field!

I don't understand much about what this means for the NFL, but I know it can't be good.

2 comments:

Stine said...

You can't get a much worse diagnosis than most pancreatic cancers.

Gene was good for the Players Association, but it's still one of the weaker PAs of the major sports.

Steve said...

Very true, although on some level it was great how quick it was. I had my old roomate's father go through it and it seemed to hang on for awhile.