Monday, January 7, 2008

American Gladiators

So...I watched the 2 hour premiere of American Gladiators on Sunday night. Can't say I was blown away by it. It seemed like a WWE event in the way they hyped everything as an over the top struggle of life and death. Plus announcers (not Hulk or Laila) sounded like a bunch of teenage boys in the middle of puberty, and the gladiators tried to mug for the camera and come out with catchphrases or "signature" moves as often as they could.

However the events themselves were cool, and the gladiators for the most part seemed to know what they were doing. It was also cool to see that the final Eliminator was much more of an equalizer than before, though it would be nice to have an explanation of what penalties they draw for screwing up parts of it.

Bottom line, I may watch occasionally from here on out but I don't plan to make a point of it.
What'd everyone else think?

8 comments:

Dennis said...

I tivo'd it & skiped the interviews. The events were ok, I thought that the players sucked.

Steve said...

I thought it was okay at best. I absolutely hated the camera angles and it might have been nice if the announcers actually announced during the competition.

Cutis said...

I did like how the blonde gymnast muscle woman got her ass kicked in Joust by Crush (I thought she was going to bust out the Shaka in victory but I was sorely dissapointed.).

Would watch again. Maybe.

Cutis said...

http://www.youtube.com/v/7O7op0tyrP0

Ownage.

Gluckzilla said...

Instead of "Shaka", are you sure you don't mean the "shocker" or the "showstopper" fist pump?

Patrick said...

These competitors would never make it on Ninja Warrior

georgeconfused said...

Yeah, not gonna keep this one on my regular viewing schedule. It was cool when I was 12. Then I just outgrew it I guess (more likely it was cancelled). Now they're trying to force the awesomeness and coolness factor down our throats. The Wolf guy, the New Zealand guy, come on. Then agian, if they're aiming this show at 12-year-olds, it's probably right on point. And what happened to Atlasphere?

Cutis said...

Adam, I'm going to assume that you in fact clinked the link in my post and are just making a witty comment. I really don't want to explain the joke, because as you know, when you have to explain the joke life's just not worth living.